This vegan cashew tomato sauce is not only creamy and rich, but super versatile! Use the sauce as a base for your next pasta, curry, soup or anything else your heart desires.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes | Makes: 3 cups | Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Vegan
- 400g can cherry tomatoes (or tomatoes)
- 100g minced brown onion
- 100g minced carrot
- 100g chopped cauliflower
- 60g diced Japanese pumpkin or butternut squash
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 60g raw cashew (soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and rinsed)
- 1 tsp dried thyme (or your choice of dried or fresh herbs)
- Black pepper
- Himalayan salt
- Olive oil
- In a medium sized saucepan, sauté minced onion and grated garlic with 1 Tbsp olive oil for a few minutes. Add pinch of pink salt and continue to sauté until they become tender.
- Add other vegetables with 2 Tbsp olive oil, black pepper, and 1 tsp pink salt. Continue to heat for few more minutes.
- Add tomato and thyme and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and cover with a lid. Simmer it for 30-40 minutes with a small flame. Stir occasionally.
- Place all the ingredients (including drained cashews) in a blender and blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you reserve it, bring the sauce back to the sauce pan and bring it to a boil. After cooling it down, transfer it to a jar and keep it in a fridge.
Now that you have the base prepared, here’s something you can do with it:
Pasta with roast veggies and kale salad (As shown in above image)
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Serves: 1
- 100g dried pasta, cooked
- 1/4-1/3 cup of cashew tomato sauce (recipe above)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Veggies of your choice, roasted
- Kale, massaged in a little olive oil, lemon and salt, to taste.
- Sliced red onion
- Prepare the roast vegetables to your liking.
- Mix boiled pasta with 1/4-1/3 cup of sauce and 1 tbsp olive oil, and heat with a small to medium flame for 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and you’re done!
Naked Foods is Australia’s destination for sustainable, organic, bulk wholefoods with a focus on sustainability, health, wellbeing and zero waste shopping. Shop online or in-store the first Monday of every month to receive 20% off storewide. That’s this coming Monday 😉 #thankuslater