This is one-pot low GI deliciousness at its best by chef Tom Walton. Perfect weeknight meal or for a larger gathering!
Low GI Mexican baked rice
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red capsicum sliced
- 1 green capsicum sliced
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp good quality Mexican spice mix
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 4 to 5 large cup mushrooms
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes diced
- 1 400g tin kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 large handful coriander roughly chopped
- 1 lime (juice of)
- 1 avocado cut into wedges
- natural yoghurt to serve
- Preheat an oven to 210C. Place a large shallow French oven pan or frying pan (that can go in the oven) over a medium/high heat and add 3 tbsp of the olive oil, onion, capsicums, garlic, and a good pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes then add spice mix, tomato paste and rice and stir everything through, cooking for 1 more minute.
- Add stock, bring to a simmer stirring so everything is evenly mixed then nestle in the mushrooms, cup side up, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil over the mushrooms. Cover with a lid and cook in the preheated oven for approx. 25- 30 minutes.
- Combine the tomato, kidney beans with a little of the chopped coriander, season to taste and a squeeze of lime.
- When the rice and mushrooms are cooked, let the pan sit for 5 minutes to rest then remove the lid and to serve, scatter the kidney bean mix and avocado over the rice and serve with the yoghurt.