This week’s recipe is from Chef Tom Walton in partnership with Delcado avocados.
Avocado and prawn fried rice
A deliciously healthy spin on the classic fried rice. This dish is full of fresh ingredients and the rich flavour of avocado. The perfect crowd-pleasing meal you can easily whip up in no time.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or sesame oil
- 1 small brown onion diced
- 1 carrot peeled, diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup Chinese dried sausage or bacon chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 green tiger prawns peeled, shell left on
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Delcado avocados cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing cooking wine
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas defrosted
- ½ cup shallots finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli seeds removed, julienned
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Baby herbs to serve optional
- Prepare rice your prefered way.
- Heat a wok or large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add oil and stir fry the onion, carrot, garlic and Chinese sausage with a good pinch of salt for 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat another smaller frying pan over a medium/high heat and add oil and cook the prawns, seasoning lightly. Set aside.
- Add the Shaoxing wine to the wok pan and let evaporate then add the rice and stir fry for a further 2 minutes. Add the oyster and soy sauce along with the peas and half the shallots and cook for another minute.
- To serve, spoon the fried rice onto a large platter, top with the cooked prawns, creamy Delcado avocados (a premium avocado that slices perfectly), remaining shallots, chilli, sesame seeds and baby herbs.
You can use any variety of avocado in this recipe.