Feeling like something fresh ahead of the Christmas feasting to come? Try today’s recipe from chef Gianni Carrieri, culinary expert at Winning Appliances.
Zesty lemon and rocket pesto with fusilli pasta, bocconcini and tomatoes
- ½ cup 125ml light olive oil
- 200 g rocket
- 60 g blanched almonds
- 1 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 130 g Grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp flakes salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 basil leaves
- 100 g green beans trimmed
- 1 packet 500g fusilli pasta
- 200 g Bocconcini mozzarella cut in quarters
- Toasted flaked almond
- Pour the olive oil and rocket into a food processor, blend for about 30 seconds until the ingredients are combined but not totally smooth. Scrape down the side and continue blending, add almond, half the garlic, lemon juice, parmesan cheese and rind, half of the salt and pepper. Gradually add the remaining olive oil and blend until all the ingredients are just combined.
- Into a bowl let tomatoes infuse with extra virgin olive oil, the other half of the garlic, the remaining salt, fresh basil leaves and lemon rind for 20 minutes.
- Bring some water to a boil and blanch the green beans for 4 minutes, drain and soak them in iced water for 5 minutes, then cut in 2 cm pieces.
- Cook the pasta according to packaging instructions, reserving one third of the cooking water, toss cooked pasta with pesto and reserved cooking water, add the tomatoes, green beans, bocconcini, toasted almond flakes, and the remaining grated parmesan, serve immediately.