This recipe was developed by Megann Evans for Australian Lychees.
Duck and lychee salad
- 2 red witlof or red radicchio lettuces
- 1 duck breast
- 4 baby beetroot cut into small wedges
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 1 orange
- 4 lychees split, peeled and seeded
- 3 red radishes finely sliced
- baby herbs
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs seeded mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Half the radicchio, rinse and dry. Clean the radishes and finely slice. Peel, halve and pit the lychees. With a knife, peel and segment the orange. Set all these ingredients aside.
- Clean and dry duck breasts thoroughly with a paper towel, dry skin to ensure it becomes crispy while cooking. Using a sharp knife, score the skin of the duck breast. Season the duck with salt and pepper. Place the breast, skin side down, on a cold non-stick pan and bring to a medium heat. With tongs pressing down on the breast, cook for 5 minutes, flip, then place the whole pan (alternatively place onto a baking tray) in the oven for a remaining 3 minutes. Remove from the oven, set aside and cover with foil allowing it to rest for at least 5-10 minutes before cutting into thin slices diagonally.
- Pour the duck fat from the pan and sauté the beetroot and onion together over a medium heat for about 6 minutes, until the onion and beetroot are soft. They will go a gorgeous pink/red colour. Season and set aside.
- Whisk the vinegar, lemon, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Whisking constantly, add the oil in a slow, steady stream and continue whisking until slightly thickened. Keeps in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Layer the salad, beetroot and onion, top with the duck, dressing and lychees and sprinkle with micro herbs.