Allergy-free hot choc buns
Easter wouldn't be the same without hot cross buns and everyone can enjoy this chocolate version!
- 1 ½ cups rice milk
- 4 tbsp dairy-free spread
- 1 tbsp active dried yeast
- 4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour to roll the dough
- ¼ cup golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 7 NOMO Creamy Chocolate Bars (38g)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tsp water
- Place rice milk and dairy-free spread into a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until spread is melted.
- Set aside to cool for 2-3 minutes then stir in yeast.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, spices and salt. Whisk to combine then make a well in the centre. Pour in yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon then transfer to a floured surface and knead with your hands, working back and forth until the dough is soft and elastic (about 5 minutes). If the dough is too sticky, add extra flour. Form into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled mixing bowl. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise until it doubles in size.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- When the dough has doubled in size, remove the cover and punch down the dough to deflate it. Place the dough onto a floured work surface. Chop NOMO 38g Creamy Chocolate Bars into small pieces and gently knead into the dough. Then shape into a long cylinder, then cut into 12 even pieces. Flatten and deflate each piece by pressing them, then shape each into a ball and place in rows on your baking tray, leaving about 2 cm between each. Cover the tray with lightly-oiled plastic wrap and set aside to rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. In a small mixing bowl, whisk flour and cacao together, then mix in water. Using a piping bag, pipe crosses on top of the buns. Place the tray on the centre rack of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk jam and water. Remove from the oven and glaze the buns with the jam. Serve and enjoy!
To make these gluten-free, simply substitute the all-purpose flour for all-purpose gluten-free flour!