This week’s recipe comes from our friends at Maxwell & Williams.
Serves: 12 | Prep: 20mins | Cook: 60mins
For the crust:
• 225g unsalted butter, room temperature • 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
• 2 cups plain flour
• 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
• 1⁄4 tsp salt
For the lemon layer:
• 7 large eggs
• 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
• 3 tbsp lemon zest, grated
• 1 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed • 1 cup plain flour
For the lemon glaze:
• 2 cups icing sugar
• 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, apx. 2 lemons • Fresh thyme sprigs to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced)
- To make the crust, cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, thyme and salt, mixing until just combined into a rough dough.
- With floured hands, gather the dough into a ball and place in the baking tray. Flatten and press into a greased 20 x 30cm baking pan to create a base. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack, leaving the oven on.
- To make the lemon layer, whisk together eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the cooled crust and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is set. Cool to room temperature.
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk together icing sugar and lemon juice. Add more or less sugar and/or juice for desired consistency. Pour glaze over lemon bars and spread with a spatula to cover evenly. Allow the glaze to set for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Cut into squares and garnish with fresh thyme. Serve on your favourite Maxwell & Williams Seed & Leaf platter.