Ahead of Mother’s Day this weekend, Almonds Australia have created a healthy and delicious twist to a classic favourite for the perfect breakfast-in-bed treat for Aussie mums. Whip up these gluten-free almond pancakes with strawberry compote to show your mum how much you love her!
1 punnet strawberries
1⁄8 cup water
1 cinnamon stick or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2-4 tablespoons rice malt syrup, honey or brown sugar (to taste)
2⁄3 cup almond meal
1⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla essence
2-3 tablespoons rice malt syrup, honey or brown sugar
Thickened cream or Greek yoghurt to serve
- Wash and hull strawberries and cut in half.
- Place in a small saucepan with water and cinnamon and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until strawberries have thickened.
- Leave to cool, remove cinnamon stick and then stir in sweetener spoon by spoon, tasting to your liking.
- In a small bowl mix almond meal, eggs, milk, vanilla and sweetener.
- Heat up a small non-stick fry pan and add a knob of butter. Ladle some pancake mixture in and cook over medium heat until edges are cooked through (3-5 minutes) and air bubbles appear. Flip the pancakes and cook on the other side for another couple of minutes.
- Repeat with rest of the mixture.
Stack pancakes and spoon over strawberry mixture. Dollop with cream or yoghurt and eat immediately.