Winter may be coming but that doesn’t mean that your outdoor areas should be neglected. We’ve quizzed Aussie furniture maker and Feast Watson ambassador Mark Tuckey for his top tips for caring for your deck all year round.
Mark Tuckey’s Top Tips for Deck Care All Year Round
1. Keep an eye on your timber – The best way to maintain you timber furniture and deck is through regular maintenance inspections. It’s difficult to state an exact timeframe for how often timber decks and outdoor furniture should be recoated because it is dependent on so many factors; quality of the coating, amount of foot traffic, degree of exposure to UV radiation and the weather. As a rule of thumb, Feast Watson suggest annual maintenance coats, however you should always test to see if water is beading on the surface of the timber first. If water is beading on your timber, it is protected, and there is no need to coat. When you notice water soaking into the surface, then it’s time to prepare and re-coat.
2. Clean your deck – Before recoating your deck, clean it thoroughly with Feast Watson Woodclean. By eliminating the impurities and surface contaminants, you ensure a smooth finish when you apply your chosen decking oil and ensure your timber lasts for years to come. Gently scrub the timber with Feast Watson Woodclean then wash off with the lowest setting on your high pressure hose, you don’t want to raise the timber grain with too harsh a blast of water
3. Recoat – Don’t wait too long when it comes to re-coating your timber! It’s easier to maintain the coating before it becomes too worn and the timber underneath starts to degrade. Once you’ve cleaned and prepped your timber, it’s time to add protection. Apply your chosen Feast Watson decking oil such as Feast Watson Matt Look Deck according to spread rate on the can to the entire length of the timber board using a good quality lambswool applicator or specialist decking brush to ensure there are no streaks, lines or blend marks. This is to be applied approximately 2-3 boards at a time. Check the can for drying time between coats, and then repeat the process.
4. Air Flow – Make sure air is circulating under your deck by removing any debris, which might be blocking air flow and damaging your timber.
5. Enjoy – Make sure you enjoy your deck by spending lots of time out there!
For more information about Feast Watson’s range of decking care products visit www.feastwatson.com.au