If you’ve an interest in children’s interior design, you’ve no doubt perused the charming spaces created by Nicole Rosenberg of Little Liberty. The interior decorator found business inspiration after having three children but today we’re taking a look at one of her more adult spaces – her beloved coffee table.
“I purchased the coffee table because at just over a metre it was the perfect size for the space and I wanted something round. The look of the table is simple and elegant and fits in perfectly with the marble fire place in the room,” says Nicole who has some sage advice when choosing a coffee table.
“You definitely need to consider style and function when purchasing a coffee table! I always see coffee tables that are not the correct scale against the couch and I think that it can often make the space look smaller,” says Nicole who recommends buying your coffee table after the rug and couch is in place.
“When styling a coffee table you need to be mindful of the practicalities of everyday living as well as having items that can be easily removed. One of the main things I always have on my coffee table is flowers or a plant. I absolutely love the Angus and Celeste ‘Raw’ plant stands and at the moment I have a beautiful peace lily in there which is the perfect indoor plant with its ever blooming white flowers which just keep on giving!” says Nicole.
Plant aside, Nicole’s coffee table also houses her favourite tomes – a mixed bag that give some insight into her design inspirations. “A coffee table is never complete without a stack of books and three of my absolute favorites, for their content and exterior sleeves, are Kate Moss, The Kinfolk Home and The Flowers by Dr Lisa Cooper which has the most amazing floral photography!” says Nicole.
The coffee table’s other most notable item is a white monkey lamp. “I love adding in a bit of tongue and cheek with my interiors and the monkey lamp from Fenton and Fenton made by Seletti says just that!” says Nicole. Other items include a Mud Australia porcelain bowl and a Cocolux Australia marble candle. “Cocolux in my favorite candle brand with its eco-friendly coconut wax and fragrances inspired by nature all wrapped up in the most luxe fashion forward vessels,” says Nicole.
Nicole’s top coffee table styling tips
- I always have either three or five items on the coffee table – always go for odd numbers when styling!
- You can’t go wrong with a stack of books – either all the same size or different sizes.
- Make sure all items are at different height levels to create extra interest for the eyes.
- Always go green or add flowers! If you don’t want to keep spending money each week on fresh flowers go for an indoor plant or find some realistic looking fake flowers.
- Add a little humour and a touch of fun!
- Add in one of your favourite candles.
- Mix your textures from marble, to ceramic, to books, to florals!