I can’t wait to attend the prestigious Belle/Coco Republic Interior Design Awards 2012 next week.
Initiated in 2011, when the top title was won by Greg Natale, the awards celebrate and acknowledge excellence, creativity, innovation and integrity and the extraordinary individuals who make the local interior design scene the envy of the world.
Belle Editor-in-Chief Neale Whitaker said the judges were truly inspired by this year’s entries. “‘Tough call’ is probably an understatement, but after many hours of deliberation and discussion we chose the finalists on the basis of originality, innovation, quality of execution and response to the brief.”
(Above: Port Melbourne apartment by finalist David Hicks)
The legendary Kelly Hoppen, one of the world’s most respected interior designers, is the first international judge for the awards. Her fellow judges on the 2012 panel are Domenic Alvaro (principal, Woods Bagot Australia), Margie Attard (NSW/WA Manager, Coco Republic Interior Design), Steve Cordony (interior design editor, Belle), Mitchell Oakley Smith (author and publisher), Anthony Spon-Smith (executive director, Coco Republic), Whitaker and Jean Wright (senior design consultant, Belle).
The judges are enthusiastic about the calibre of entries in each of the four categories. The ultimate accolade, the Belle/Coco Republic Interior Designer of the Year award, gives entrants the opportunity to be judged on a range of work across all categories. “Belle is a great promoter of both established and emerging Australian interior designers, and this particular award will be given to an individual designer, designer partnership or design practice for the most dynamic and sophisticated body of work,” said Whitaker.
The Belle/Coco Republic Interior Designer of the Year will have their work published in Belle and receive two return flights to Paris (plus five nights’ accommodation) to attend the directional Maison & Objet exhibition in September. Winners will be announced at the glamorous interior design night of nights at Coco Republic’s Sydney showroom on Wednesday. You can be sure I’ll be tweeting (@interiorsaddict) and blogging the results!
The 2012 finalists include:
- Best residential interior – Whale Beach House BKH; Toorak Residence DAVID HICKS; Tusculum Street Residence SMARTDESIGN STUDIO
- Best commercial interior – Paul and Joe DOHERTY LYNCH; SFXN Coop Manly Corso BKH; Aesop Claremont RUSSELL &GEORGE
- Best corporate interior – Medich Office SJB INTERIORS; Saatchi & Saatchi SMART DESIGN STUDIO; Paper Stone Scissors RUSSELL & GEORGE
- Best hospitality interior – The Apollo GEORGE LIVISSIANIS; The Old Library HECKER GUTHRIE; Scarlett SJB INTERIORS
- Interior Designer of the Year – David Hicks DAVID HICKS DESIGN; Iain Halliday BKH; Ryan Russell & Byron George
(Above: John and Peter Canteen by finalist Ian Halliday)