Airbnb are making the most extensive set of improvements to the platform yet, starting with the introduction of Airbnb Rooms earlier this month, an all-new take on the original Airbnb. They’re also launching over 50 new features and upgrades that address top feedback from guests and Hosts.
Airbnb began as a way to stay in a room in someone else’s home. This original idea of sharing a home is more affordable (more than 80% of global private rooms listings are under $100 USD a night, with an average rate of $67 USD a night) and staying with a Host is a great way to meet someone new and experience the city like a local.
Airbnb Rooms is an all-new take on the original Airbnb. Every Airbnb Room features a Host Passport, which helps guests get to know their Host before booking their stay.They’ve also created a Rooms category with over a million listings, redesigned filters and added new privacy features.
“With Airbnb Rooms, we’re getting back to the idea that started it all – back to our founding ethos of sharing,” said Brian Chesky, co-founder and CEO. “Airbnb Rooms are often more affordable than hotels, and they’re the most authentic way to experience a city. This is the soul of Airbnb.”
- Host Passport – We want every guest to feel comfortable staying with a Host. Exclusive to Airbnb Rooms, the Host Passport helps you get to know your Host before booking your stay. Simply tap the Host Passport to view a larger photo and details Hosts have shared about themselves, including where they went to school, what they do for work, a fun fact about themselves and much more.
- Airbnb Rooms category – Airbnb Rooms are easy to discover, with a new category featuring a curated set of 1 million private bedrooms. Listings include access to shared spaces, like the kitchen, living room, or backyard.
- Redesigned filters – We’ve redesigned the “type of place” filter to make it easy to switch between Airbnb Rooms, entire homes, or all types of places. It’s simple to view the average price for each type of place with an enhanced price filter that updates based on your choice.
- New privacy features – We know that when you’re sharing a home, privacy is important. All Airbnb Rooms will clearly indicate if the bedroom door has a lock. The listing page also shows whether the bathrooms are shared or private, and whether people other than the Host will be in the home during your stay.
In preparation for an anticipated record-setting travel season, Airbnb are improving nearly every aspect of the service, based on feedback from their community.
“Millions of people have given us feedback on how to improve Airbnb. We’ve listened,” said Brian. “Our design-driven approach means we’re always making Airbnb better, and our over 50 new features and upgrades are just the beginning. We will never stop improving Airbnb.”
Just a few of the 50+ new features and upgrades launching:
- Transparent checkout instructions – Guests can now view checkout instructions on the listing page before booking, and they’ll receive a reminder before they leave the home. During the review process, guests can tell Airbnb about any excessive requests. And listings with repeated low ratings from unreasonable chores will be removed.
- Improved maps – Used by more than 80% of guests, they’ve updated maps with faster performance, persistent pins when zooming and panning, and more results when searching.
- Redesigned wishlists – Wishlists now include a redesigned interface, one-tap saving, and an improved calendar that shows availability of wishlisted homes. Guests can also add notes to any wishlisted listing – making it easier to remember why they loved it.
- Simpler and more affordable monthly stays – For stays over three months, they’re significantly reducing the guest service fee after the third month.
- Priority customer service on a trip – They created a dedicated 24/7 support team for priority access when you’re on a trip, with a goal of answering 90% of calls in English in two minutes or less.
- Instant rebooking credit – If a Host cancels within 30 days of arrival, most guests will receive an instant credit that can be used to rebook another stay immediately.
As part of the 50+ new features and upgrades, Airbnb are launching 25 improvements for Hosts, including new pricing tools to help them set competitive prices, easily add weekly and monthly discounts, and compare their listing to similar ones in their area. They’re also including a yearly view in calendar, the ability to easily enter checkout instructions, read receipts and new quick replies in messaging, and more.