Whether you’re moving or clearing a home, packing up household items is a time-consuming and tedious task that everyone is familiar with. Supercheap Storage share their expert insider tips to ensure your belongings endure their journey.
- Add bi-carb soda to clothing, books and linen. Before stowing clothes and books away, add a sprinkle of bi-carb soda to prevent that stale scent from occurring. Including a fragrance bag of dried lavender will add a pleasant, fragrant touch.
- Recycle cartons for packing Christmas decorations. Egg cartons, shoe boxes and iPhone cartons are perfect for separating items and making them easy to find. Winding fairy lights around a flat piece of cardboard is an easy way to avoid them getting tangled.
- Pack mirrors and picture frames upright. Logically, many people pack these items horizontally, but by packing them in vertically and tucked in tight, they are less likely to break. Blankets are best to protect these fragile pieces.
- Pack linen within its own pillow case. Just like socks, pillows and sheets of a set easily go missing. To avoid this and to keep linen tidy, fold everything and place inside one of its own pillow cases.
- Match up item shapes. To maximise space when packing items, match up similar shapes. For instance, if packing away kitchen trays, put all the rectangular trays together and all the circle trays together.
- Tape screws, bolts and allen keys to matching furniture items or toys. In the rush of a clean or a move, it’s easy to misplace these essential parts. It’s the same with electrical items — ensure the cord is attached or taped to the item to make it easier when unpacking.
- Remove batteries from toys, gadgets and appliances. This will prevent items from accidentally being switched on while also protecting these items from battery corrosion.
- Teabags are useful for fridges. After cleaning the fridge, it needs to stay ajar. Placing teabags on each corner is a handy way to do this before wrapping.
- Prevent damage using mobile storage options. If external storage is needed, opt for mobile storage. This prevents double handling of loading and unloading items, which helps ensure belongings remain intact.
– Supercheap Storage are Australia’s premier mobile storage company with warehouses across Australia and internationally. For more information visit their website here.
Great tips Jen. I am a meticulous packer and am pleased all my worldly good survived the sea voyage. Well not sure Christmas decorations did but soon I will get to find out.
Do you sprinkle the bi-carb directly on your clothes??? Im about to pack.. i must look more into this. I also find the little packets of fabric softeners are great to adding a soft fragrance to the linen cupb or storage boxes.