Everyone says the right cushions can make or break a bed or lounge, but actually deciding which ones to put together gives many people a headache! It’s not as easy as it looks.
That said, the power of beautifully arranged plump, well-crafted cushions, wrapped in gorgeously textured or patterned fabric covers, can never be underestimated. Cushion styling makes a world of difference to a living space.
Junie Lin, founder of new cushion brand Mirage Haven, shares her tips on how to choose and layer cushions like a pro.
1. Base is plain
Plain cushions create the base of your cushionscape. Your arrangements often won’t work well without these.
- Invest in good quality fabrics for plain cushions, as these are meant to be used over and over again. Besides, plains never look dated; they’re always on trend.
- For dark colour schemes, velvety navy or black are often good choices on which to build a cushion collection.
- Crisp whites and natural-coloured linens layer well in lighter colour schemes.
- For visual variety, layer on plain cushions in different shapes or sizes.
2. Go for classics
Classic patterns can provide the underlying character of your cushion arrangement.
- Start off with a small collection of classic patterns. Stripes and simple, geometric patterns are good examples of classic patterns. These never go out of style.
- For instance, two-tone block patterns in bold colour contrasts may set a contemporary look to your overall loungescape.
- Having a small collection of classic patterns allows you the versatility of rotating these from room to room. Your rooms get a style refresh with every rotation.
- As with plains, beautiful fabric shines through in classic patterned cushions, so don’t be afraid to invest in these details.
3. Mix and match
Here’s where the fun begins. Now that you’ve got your base plains and patterns, it’s time to crank up that creative flair.
- Mix and match fabrics to create layers and add both visual and tactile interest.
- The fabrics in the layers don’t need to be all of one kind. An arrangement of all linens or all velvets could prove to be a bore.
- Match your basic collection of plains and classic patterns with various designs and fabrics to create your own unique look.
- Pull in those voguish, trendy designs or introduce accent colours.
- Stave off visual boredom by playing around with size, form, and height. Variety is the spice of a well-styled, visually engaging arrangement.
You can transition in and out of these on-trend cushion designs according to the season, weather, or even your mood!
4. Embrace light and airy
Our Australian beach culture loves the light and airy look of a coastal-inspired home that can be used all year round. If this is what you’re going for, use:
- Light linens and whites
- Patterns with a modern, casual vibe.
With darker colour schemes, contrast with white or soothing neutrals to shape a fresh, crisp, yet elegant look.
5. Achieve high style with subtle luxury
Subtlety is the key here. Finish off with a refined and restrained eye.
With its deeply historical royal roots, velvet has been the epitome of the exclusive, high-style look. Traditionally befitting a glamorous, opulent setting, velvet is equally at ease in the everyday home.
- Don’t get carried away with copious amounts of shimmer, shine, or bling. As the adage goes, less is always more. But, on a leash, some sparkle and sheen can provide that sense of luxury.
- For a subtle casual look, try linens threaded with silver or gold to achieve a light, airy lustre.
Layering throw cushions is an art, but one that isn’t too difficult, to achieve a decent marriage between form and function. Having a handful of quality cushions on hand, plus knowing how to mix and match these accessories, is one of the easiest and chicest aways to achieve beautiful spaces for many years to come.
-As a newly launched luxury cushion retailer, Mirage Haven gets you up to speed in fine soft furnishings with its 60-piece debut collection of classic patterns and styles. Founder and creative director Junie Lin brings her unique design perspective from her long experience owning one of Australia’s premiere online retail stores, Hamptons Home.