With the average bathroom in Germany measuring less than eight square metres, it’s no surprise that German manufacturers are coming up with innovative solutions to cater to these small spaces. Kaldewei is one such company and we are pretty impressed with its new range of clever space-saving bathroom products.
Most people assume that a small bathroom can’t accommodate a bathtub and shower but it’s made all the more possible with Kaldewei’s Meisterstuck Centro Duo bathtub and its clever rounded corner that you can choose to have on the right or left. As a bonus, it’s a gorgeous design too.
To further maximise space consider a wall hung wash basin – the space underneath the basin adds visible floor area to create the illusion of space (Kaldewei’s Centro wash basin is a great, stream-lined choice). And to further create the feel of a larger space, the Kaldewei Superplan is a floor-level shower surface that integrates perfectly with the bathroom floor for a seamless look.
Combine the bath & shower
A classic solution to the small bathroom challenge has always been to combine the two – Kaldewei’s new Cavono bathtub serves two functions at once which means you don’t have to miss out on a long hot soak, or a speedy shower. This also means you may have room for two wash basins too.
Some people favour the shower and want that area to be as large as possible – Kaldewei’s Conoflat is ideal for them. Floor-level, the enameled shower surface is available in large sizes and given it is ultra-flat it really can open up a small space.
Kaldewei’s short guide to creating a small bathroom that has big impact
- Create a bathroom wish list. Start by addressing the essentials: Do I need a bathtub or would I rather have a shower? Are both a must? How many wash zones do I need?
- Make the most of space with individual solutions. Optimise your space with bathtubs or shower surfaces that save space in the right places. Flexible solutions are best for a perfect fit. Make niches work for you – use them to install a shelf, cabinet or shower. Maybe a sliding door will give you more space?
- Visually enlarge the room. A floor-level shower surface provides greater freedom of movement in a small room. Opt for discreet colours that blend harmoniously with the bathroom floor. Not only will this add to an aesthetically homogeneous appearance, it will also make especially small bathrooms appear larger.
- Choose colours wisely. Contrasting colour combinations, such as black and white, add exciting accents that heighten the decorative effect in the room. Make sure to take advantage of natural light, complemented by a well thought-out lighting scheme. A word of caution – strong or dark colours can quickly make a small bathroom feel even smaller.
- Opt for a high-quality look. There is nothing that says a small bathroom can’t have an inviting ambience. Polished surfaces made of steel enamel, for instance, give a sophisticated impression while also opening up the room.
Shop the Kaldewei range here.