For those that suffer from asthma or are prone to airborne allergies, winter means more time surrounded by nasty health hazards such as mould, dust mites and pet dander. However, never fear! The latest cutting edge appliances now have the power to eradicate allergens and allow for an allergy-proof haven this winter. Below, the experts at The Good Guys share their tips on what appliances will best ensure a pleasant and allergy-free indoor experience.
- Vacuum’s with high-efficiency particulate arrestance (HEPA) air filters, are suitable for those who suffer from asthma and airborne allergies. HEPA filters catch and trap small pollutants, making them the best option for anyone with sensitivity to dust particles. To qualify for HEPA standards the filter must remove 99.7% per cent of particles that are 0.3 micrometres or larger in size.
- Micro filters, found on many basic vacuum cleaners in either washable or disposable versions, release dust particles back in to the air and therefore should be avoided by individuals that suffer from asthma or those with allergies.
- Steam mops clean without using harsh chemical cleaning products. They are more effective than traditional mops as they can easily remove dirt and stains from the floor whilst getting rid of bacteria, dust mites and other allergens. They work well with almost any cleaning surface, including hardwood and laminate floors.
- Air purifiers prevent respiratory illnesses and allergy attacks. They can remove contaminants such as allergens, pollen, pet dander, gas, smoke, airborne bacteria, harmful viruses, odours and smells depending on the type of purifier.
- An air purifier with a HEPA filter can trap contaminants that are 0.3 microns and larger such as pollen, mould, pet dander, dust mites and bacteria. However, they are not able to filter contaminants like viruses, chemicals fumes and cigarette smokes which are smaller than 0.3 mircrons.
Visit The Good Guys’ website for more information.