With Dulux having just released their colour trends for summer 2016 (it’s all about earthy tones and muddy pastels), we spoke to Bree Leech, Dulux’s creative consultant and stylist, on how to best style your home this summer.
1. Use combinations that provide some contrast and interest such as warm and cool shades together or light and dark. Try using unexpected mixes of pastel mauves and muddy neutrals.
2. Counterbalance the softness of the hues with striking angles. Inspired by geometric forms introduce these angles through furniture detail, pattern, art or feature wall designs.
3. Dulux’s summer palette, Bio Fragility, celebrates the perfection of imperfections – soften paint lines between colours by creating a rough brushed edge that plays on this trend detail
4. Texture is an important element – use cushions with different fabrics or introduce another textural layer to the space with an area rug.
5. Add living things to your home. Feature plants that are curious and provide interest such as cacti, succulents or bromeliads.
6. Always consider the lighting in the space to ensure you are making the most of natural daylight to create a beautiful summer experience.
7. Remember to review existing furnishings to ensure these colours will work with fittings that cannot be changed easily.
8. Look to your surrounding environment and colours in your garden for inspiration.
Photography by Lisa Cohen | Styling by Bree Leech and Heather Nette King