Stylist Justine Wilson, founder of Vault Interiors, shares her top tips for a home refresh over the summer break.
Use your New Year break wisely by following her six simple steps:
1. Exterior TLC: Whether you have a house or a unit, a house wash or pressure washing your outdoor areas is a game-changer. For unit dwellers, coordinate with your Strata or body corporate for an external tidy and wash. Clean windows for a fresh perspective on the world outside.
2. Leverage local council clean-up: Take advantage of your local council clean-up schedule. It’s the perfect opportunity to declutter and purge items you no longer need. A clutter-free home fosters a positive atmosphere for the new year.
3. Tackle clutter in key areas: Organise spaces prone to clutter, such as linen cupboards, pantries, and garages. Affordable organisational products from stores like Kmart and Target can breathe new life into these areas, providing a functional and aesthetically pleasing storage solution.
4. Pack away holiday decor: Ensure all holiday decorations are neatly packed away, making room for a fresh start in the new year. A clutter-free environment contributes to a sense of tranquility and renewal.
5. Refresh with new accents: Capitalise on post-Christmas sales to shop for art, decor or cushions in a new accent colour. Small changes can have a significant impact on the look and feel of your living spaces, providing an easy and cost-effective refresh.
6. Lighten up with sheers and neutrals: Take advantage of Boxing Day sales to swap out heavy curtains for sheers and replace dark, heavy-toned bed linen and cushion covers with light linens and neutrals. Instantly transform your spaces with a lighter, airier ambiance.
“Just a few simple changes can breathe new life into your home for the upcoming year,” says Justine. “By taking advantage of the summer break, you can create a home that not only looks refreshed but feels rejuvenated. It’s a wonderful way to start the new year on a positive note.”