This recipe was provided to us by Villeroy & Boch.
Layered walnut cake with raspberries & vanilla cream cheese frosting
- Electric mixer, with paddle attachment
- Food processer
- 3 cake tins, 20cm
- 500 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g dark brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 300 g Greek yoghurt
- 150 ml dark rum
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 450 g rye flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 400 g walnuts
- 500 g cream cheese at room temperature
- 750 g icing sugar sifted
- 4 punnets raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine 375g butter, caster sugar, and dark brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 10 minutes, until very light.
- Whisk the eggs, yolks, yoghurt, rum, and half the vanilla, then add to the butter mixture while beating on low speed.
- Sift the flour, spices, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar together twice, then fold gently into mixture.
- Place the walnuts in a food processor and grind until very fine, then fold into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into three lined 20cm cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a skewer can be inserted ad removed cleanly. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine the cream cheese, icing sugar, remaining butter, and remaining vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer, then beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 10 minutes, until very light.
- Spread one-third of the icing on one cake, spread flat, then top with a punnet of raspberries. Stack a second cake on top and repeat. Place the final cake on top, then use the remaining icing to cover the cake. Serve with the remaining raspberries.