A household cooking, cleaning, beauty and deodorising staple back in the day, Bi-Carb Soda is still one of the home’s most versatile products. Not only is it a great cleaning alternative to harsh chemicals and thus easy on the environment, it’s kind on your hip pocket too.
And given this year marks the 160-year anniversary of McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda, the company has shared a whopping 163 ways to use it in your home! From fake tan removal to deodorising the kitchen bin and removing stains from coffee cups, it seems there isn’t much this miracle product doesn’t do. Aside from the more specific tasks outlined below, there are three common ways to use Bi-Carb Soda – make a paste, solution or simply wipe it straight on with a cloth. Just remember to test for colour fastness before applying it.
To make a paste: Combine 3 tablespoons of McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda with 1 tablespoon water. Adjust for your desired consistency.
To make a solution: Dissolve 3 tablespoons of McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda in 1 litre of warm water.
For wiping: Apply McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda directly onto a damp sponge or cloth.
- Eliminate Kitchen Dishwasher Odours – Sprinkle Bi-Carb on the bottom of your dishwasher in between loads.
- Eliminate Fishy Smells – After cooking fish, use Bi-Carb solution to clean the pan to eliminate any lingering smells.
- Freezer Cleaner – Use Bi-Carb solution to clean out your freezer. Empty freezer, defrost & wipe!
- Deodorise Smelly Plastic Containers – Use Bi-Carb solution to deodorise smelly containers. Rinse well with warm water.
- Cleaning Chrome – Rub chrome with a moist cloth and dry Bi-Carb to shine. Rinse and dry.
- Clean Burnt Pots and Pans – Soak the pan in dishwashing liquid, Bi-Carb and hot water for 10 minutes before washing.
- Clean Severely Burnt Pots & Pans – Scrub pot with dry Bi-Carb and a moist scouring pad.
- Deodorise Kitchen Rubbish Bins – Sprinkle a handful of Bi-Carb in the kitchen bin.
- Clean Dirty Sponges – Remove odours from sponges by soaking overnight in Bi-Carb solution.
- Cleaning Stained Plastic Containers – Use Bi-Carb solution to scrub plastic containers when they age and develop a “sticky” feeling. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Clean Dirty and Smelly Cloths – To clean smelly kitchen cloths, soak overnight in Bi-Carb solution.
- Eliminate Smelly Hands – To get rid of garlic, onion or fishy smells from your hands, wet and then sprinkle on Bi-Carb. Rub hands together well. Rinse and dry.
- Clean Dirty Microwave – Place a bowl filled with water and 2 tbs of Bi-Carb in your microwave. Cook on high for 1 minute. Wipe down the microwave with a clean cloth.
- Cleaning Non-Stick Pans – Make a solution of 2 tbs Bi-Carb; 110ml vinegar; 225ml water. Put this mixture into the pan and boil for 10 minutes. Wash as normal.
- Non-Toxic Oven Cleaner – Use Bi-Carb paste and scrub oven with a clean cloth. Rinse well. When cleaning electric ovens be careful not to get any on the element as this may cause it to corrode.
- Deodorise Refrigerator – Place a small open container of Bi-Carb in your fridge to eliminate unwanted food odours. Replace monthly.
- Cleaning Stainless Steel Appliances – Rub stainless steel with a moist cloth and dry Bi-Carb to shine. Rinse and dry.
- Clean Baby Bottles – Safely clean baby bottles by placing 2 tsps of Bi-Carb into the bottle, pour in hot water, leave to soak then rinse well.
- Cleaning Stainless Sinks – Sprinkle dry Bi-Carb on a damp sponge, scrub the sink and rinse clean.
- Cleaning Kids Lunch Boxes – Use Bi-Carb solution to clean stained and smelly lunch boxes.
- Kitchen Fire Extinguisher – Scatter Bi-Carb by the handful to help put out small kitchen fires.
- Clean Wooden Chopping Boards – To remove food odours on wooden chopping boards, rub Bi-Carb paste onto the board and leave for a few minutes. Rinse well.
- Polish Silverware – Polish silverware with Bi-Carb paste. Rinse and dry well.
- Clean Stained Cups/Mugs – Restore life to stained tea and coffee cups by applying Bi-Carb to a damp cloth and rubbing on stain.
- Washing Dishes – To remove grease add 2 tbs Bi-Carb to your washing up water.
- Clean Water Bottles – Wash out water bottles with Bi-Carb solution to get rid of stale smells. Rinse with warm water.
- Clean Rubbish Bins – Periodically clean your rubbish bin with Bi-Carb solution.
- Clean Refrigerator – Use Bi-Carb solution to clean and freshen the inside of your fridge.
- Fruit & Vegetable Scrub – For a safe way to effectively clean dirt and residue off fresh fruit and vegetables, sprinkle a little Bi-Carb on a clean cloth or vegetable brush. Scrub and rinse.
- Clean Oven Racks – Place a towel in the bottom of a bath tub and fill with hot water, 1 cup washing powder and 1 cup of Bi-Carb. Gently place the oven racks in the bath to soak overnight. Polish clean with steel wool. Rinse and wipe dry.
- Clean Thermos Bottle – Wash out thermos bottle with Bi-Carb solution to remove stale smells and strong odours. Rinse well.
- Putting on Rubber Gloves – Sprinkle Bi-Carb inside the fingers of rubber gloves to help them slip on.
- Eliminate Freezer Odours – Eliminate unwanted odours in your freezer by keeping a small container of Bi-Carb in your freezer. Replace monthly.
- Natural Scouring Powder – Combine equal parts Bi-Carb and salt to make a tough scouring powder which can be used to scour sinks and chopping boards.
- Grimy Oven Prevention – To prevent a grimy oven, make up a mixture of 1 tbs Bi-Carb dissolved in 1 cup water. “Paint” a clean oven with this mixture. This solution will leave a hard, sterile skin over the clean surface. Any fat, oil or burnt food will stick to the rough surface and can be wiped away with warm water. Repeat monthly.
- Clean Stove Top/Hot Plates – Combine hot water, Bi-Carb and vinegar to make a solution for cleaning food spills on stove tops.
- Cleaning Stained Laminex – Sprinkle Bi-Carb on stain, splash vinegar on top and while solution is fizzing, rub with a cloth or brush. Wipe clean and rinse.
- Cleaning the Blender – Add 2 tsps of Bi-Carb and 1⁄2 cup vinegar to blender, put the lid on and turn on for a minute. Rinse well.
- Remove Rust from Pots/Pans – Cut a potato in half and dip the cut surface in dry Bi-Carb. Rub it over the rust & rinse the pot/pan in water.
- Removing Egg Stains from Crockery/Cutlery – Use Bi-Carb paste to remove egg stains from crockery or cutlery. Rinse with warm water.
- Meat Tenderiser – Rubbing dry Bi-Carb on meat prior to cooking helps tenderise the meat.
- Honeycomb Recipe – Ingredients: 4 tbs golden syrup, 2 tsps water, 1 cup white sugar, 3 tsps McKenzie’s Bi-Carb. Method: 1. Grease a 20 cm square cake tin. 2. In a large saucepan, heat golden syrup, water and sugar. Bring to a boil & simmer on low heat for 5-10 mins. Remove pot from heat and add Bi-Carb, mixing quickly. The mixture will foam and triple in size. Pour into cake tin and allow to set.
- Simple Pancake Recipe – Ingredients: 11⁄2 cups milk, 1 egg, 2 tsps vanilla extract, 2 cups self-raising flour,
1⁄4 tsp McKenzie’s Bi-Carb, cup caster sugar,
30g butter, melted.
Method: 1. Whisk milk, egg and vanilla together. Sift flour and Bi-Carb in separate bowl. Stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre and add milk mixture. Whisk until just combined. 2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add butter to pan. Using 1⁄4 cup mixture per pancake, cook pancakes until bubbles appear on surface. Flip over and cook for a further 3 mins or until cooked through. Repeat with remaining mixture, brushing pan with butter between batches. Serves 12.
- Self-Raising Flour – To make 1 cup of self-raising flour, combine 1 cup plain flour, 1 tsp McKenzie’s Cream of Tartar and 1⁄2 tsp McKenzie’s Bi-Carb.
- Basic Sponge Recipe – Ingredients: 4 eggs, 3⁄4 cup caster sugar, 3⁄4 cup self-raising flour, cup corn flour, 1 tsp McKenzie’s Cream of Tartar. 1⁄2 tsp McKenzie’s Bi-Carb. Method: 1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Sprinkle with flour. Place eggs and caster sugar in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed for 10 minutes or until creamy and sugar has dissolved. 3. Sift flours, cream of tartar and Bi-Carb together three times. Fold in sifted flours, cream of tartar and Bi-Carb. Do not overmix. Pour into cake tin. 4. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until sponge springs back when lightly touched.
- Anzac Biscuit Recipe – Ingredients: 1 cup McKenzie’s Desiccated Coconut, 1 cup McKenzie’s Natural Whole Oats, 1 cup sifted plain our, 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, 1⁄2 cup butter, 2 tbs golden syrup, 1 tsp McKenzie’s Bi-Carb, 2 tbs hot water Method: 1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Mix together coconut, oats, plain flour & sugar. Melt butter and golden syrup. In a separate bowl, mix together Bi-Carb & water and add to butter & golden syrup. 3. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. 4. Spoon dollops of mixture onto a baking tray and bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Laundry Detergent – Adding 1⁄2 cup of Bi-Carb with your usual washing detergent can improve the performance of your detergent.
- Heavily Soiled/Stained Clothes – To help remove stains and odours from clothes, soak in Bi-Carb overnight before washing.
- Eliminate Smelly Laundry – Reduce the smell of dirty laundry by sprinkling Bi-Carb into your laundry basket. This will not damage clothes.
- Wardrobe Deodoriser – Keeping a small box of dry Bi-Carb in your wardrobe will absorb smells.
- Shoe Deodoriser – Sprinkle a small amount of dry Bi-Carb into your shoes to absorb smells. Shake out well before wearing.
- Freshen New Towels – Wash new towels with 1⁄2 cup of Bi-Carb to increase fluffiness.
- Whitening Whites – Add 2 tbs of Bi-Carb to your regular liquid laundry detergent to refresh whites and reduce yellowing.
- Freshen Sheets – Add 1⁄2 cup of Bi-Carb to the laundry rinse cycle to give linen a breezy freshness.
- Clean Musty Towels – After visiting the pools or beach, get your soiled towels smelling fresh again by adding 1⁄2 cup of Bi-Carb to the rinse cycle.
- Stain Remover – Use Bi-Carb paste to aid in the removal of greasy food marks (e.g. butter, margarine, cooking oil). Leave for 30 minutes and then soak in detergent.
- BBQ Cleaner – Apply Bi-Carb paste with a wire brush, wipe clean and dry with a cloth.
- Washing the Car – Use Bi-Carb solution to wash your car. This will clean your lights, chrome, windows, tyres and floor mats. For stubborn stains, sprinkle Bi-Carb directly onto a damp sponge and cloth. Rinse and dry with a soft cloth.
- Clean Driveways – To clean oily stains from driveways sprinkle with Bi-Carb and scrub with a wet brush.
- Camping – Bi-Carb is such a multi-purpose and versatile item for your next camping trip. Use it as a hand cleanser, deodorant, dish washer, pot scrubber or toothpaste.
- Clean Dirty Pool Tools – Remove residue and mildew by wiping down with Bi-Carb solution. Smaller items can be soaked and then rinsed.
- Clean Outdoor Furniture – Use Bi-Carb solution on outdoor furniture. Rinse thoroughly.
- Fungal Prevention on Plants – Dissolve 1 tsp of Bi-Carb and 3 drops of liquid soap in 2 litres of water and spray on plants. The soap helps the spray stick to the leaf surface.
- Clean Pavers – To clean stains from pavers, sprinkle Bi-Carb over and scrub with a wet brush.
- Car Deodoriser – Leave a small open packet of Bi-Carb in your car to absorb unpleasant smells. Replace every 3 months.
- Clean Chrome Fittings – Use Bi-Carb solution to wipe fixtures and then rinse thoroughly.
- Clean Vinyl Floors – Mix half a bucket of warm water with 1⁄2 cup of Bi-Carb, mop and rinse oor with warm water.
- Clean Stainless Steel Fittings – Use Bi-Carb solution to wipe fixtures and then rinse thoroughly.
- Clean Bathroom Tiles – Mix half a bucket of warm water with 1⁄2 cup of Bi-Carb, mop and rinse floor with warm water.
- Clean Ceramic Fittings – Use Bi-Carb solution to wipe fixtures and then rinse thoroughly.
- Drain Cleaner – Mix 1⁄4 cup Bi-Carb with 1⁄4 cup salt, pour mixture down the drain. Follow with at least 1 litre of boiling water. Leave for a few minutes. Then flush through with hot water from the tap for a few minutes.
- Clean Porcelain Fittings – Use Bi-Carb solution to wipe fixtures and then rinse thoroughly.
- Grout Cleaner – Use Bi-Carb paste to scrub into grout with a sponge or toothbrush. Rinse thoroughly.
- Clean Bath Tub – Sprinkle Bi-Carb on a clean, damp sponge and scrub as usual. Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry.Kids’ activities
- Erupting Volcano – Remember to always supervise young children. Ingredients: Used Empty Drink Bottle (plastic or glass), Water, 4- 5 drops Dishwashing Liquid, Red Food Colouring, 2tbsBi-Carb, 1⁄4cup of Vinegar, Volcano Shell (refer here for instructions). Making the eruption: Step 1: Fill the bottle almost full with water. Put four to five drops of dishwashing liquid into the water followed by two drops of red food colouring. Step 2: Add the Bi-Carb to the mix. Put the Volcano over the bottle so it is in place and ready to go. Step 3: Pour the vinegar into the Volcano bottle and watch it erupt.
- Magic Floating Bits – Watch small items rise and fall. Method: Step 1: Fill a vase with water. Step 2: Add 3 – 4 drops of food colouring. Step 3: Add 1⁄4 cup of vinegar and 3 tsps of McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda. Step 4: Add your items of choice and watch them rise and fall.
- Making Gingerbread Biscuits – Ingredients: 125g butter, 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, 1⁄2 cup golden syrup, 1 egg
yolk, 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour sifted, 1 tsp McKenzie’s Bi-Carb,
1 tbs ground ginger, 1 tsp mixed spice, Writing Icings & Smarties to decorate. Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Using a hand held electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in golden syrup and egg yolk, then stir in sifted flour, McKenzie’s Bi-Carb, ginger and mixed spice. 3. Knead mixture onto lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut out gingerbread shapes and place 3cm apart on prepared baking trays. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool and decorate.
- Carpet Deodoriser – To eliminate food and pet odours, sprinkle a handful of Bi-Carb onto your carpets, leave for a few minutes and then vacuum.
- Deodorising Smelly Pet Bedding – Sprinkle Bi-Carb onto dry bed. Leave for at least 15 minutes, then vacuum.
- Cleaning Kitty Litter – To absorb odours, cover the bottom of the litter tray with Bi-Carb then add a layer of kitty litter on top. To freshen between changes, sprinkle kitty litter lightly with Bi-Carb.
- Outdoor Pet Bowls – If you feed your pet outside, sprinkle Bi-Carb around the food bowl to keep insects away.
- Cleaning Pets’ Toilet Accidents – Soak up the excess liquid and sprinkle Bi-Carb directly onto the patch. This will remove the odour.
- Freshen Smelly Bags – Sprinkle Bi-Carb into smelly gym or golf bags to deodorise and freshen.
- Cleaning Furniture – Clean and remove marks on painted furniture by applying Bi-Carb to a damp sponge and rubbing lightly. Wipe off with a clean, dry cloth.
- Cleaning Walls – Clean and remove marks from walls (crayons included) by applying Bi-Carb to a damp sponge and rubbing lightly. Wipe off with a clean, dry cloth.
- Food Safe Surface Cleaner – Sprinkle Bi-Carb onto a clean damp, sponge, wipe and rinse. Works on bench tops, stainless steel, oven tops, back splashes and range hoods.
- Washing Cloth Nappies – Soak and wash cloth nappies with Bi-Carb. Dissolve 45g of Bi-Carb into a bucket of warm water. Let soak, wash in hot soapy water and dry in the sun.
- Cleaning Residue on Vases – Use Bi-Carb solution in the vase and allow to soak for half an hour. Wipe clean and rinse with cold water.
- Rust Remover – Cover rusty tools, gates and other equipment with Bi-Carb and then pour on white vinegar to make the solution bubble. When the bubbling stops, scrub off with a stiff brush.
- Clean Stuffed Animals – Freshen stuffed toys with a sprinkling of Bi-Carb. Wait 15 minutes and brush off!
- Clean the Kids’ Plastic Toys – Clean the kids’ toys by soaking or wiping down with Bi-Carb solution. Rinse & dry.
- Deodorise the Car – Sprinkle Bi-Carb over upholstery and carpets. Leave for 15 minutes and then vacuum.
- Baby Stains Odour Removal – If your baby spits up on their or your clothes, moisten a cloth, dip it in Bi-Carb and dab at the stain. The odour will go away.
- Wheelie Bin Deodoriser – Sprinkle Bi-Carb in the wheelie bin after each weekly bin collection to remove nasty odours.
- Freshen Upholstered Furniture – Keep upholstered couches and chairs smelling fresh. Sprinkle with Bi-Carb, wait 15 minutes and vacuum.
- Remove Scuff Marks – Remove unsightly scuff marks in high traffic areas by using Bi-Carb on a clean damp sponge, then rinse.
- Cleaning Carpet Spills – Clean spills or accidents on carpets by soaking up as much of the liquid as possible with a clean sponge. Clean the stain according to manufacturers’ directions and allow to dry. When completely dry, sprinkle with Bi-Carb and leave for 15 minutes before vacuuming. Check for colour fastness first before applying Bi-Carb.
- Cleaning Baby Equipment – Safely clean your baby’s pram, play pen, car seat or high chair. Sprinkle Bi-Carb on a clean damp sponge and rub the item clean. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.
- Clean Smelly Cats – Give your cat a dry freshen up between bathing by sprinkling Bi-Carb on their fur. Use a brush to work it through and then dust off any excess.
- Clean Smelly Dogs – Give your dog a dry freshen up between bathing by sprinkling Bi-Carb on their fur. Use a brush to work it through and then dust off any excess.
- Clean Dirty Pet Toys – Clean your pets’ plastic toys safely by washing in Bi-Carb solution. Rinse.
- Clean & Freshen Sports Gear – Use Bi-Carb solution to clean and deodorise smelly clothes and sporting equipment. Rinse.
- Clean Golf Clubs – Clean golf clubs with Bi-Carb paste. Wipe Clean.
- Clean & Deodorise Ashtrays – Remove bad smells from ashtrays by soaking or wiping with Bi-Carb solution.
- Freshen Mops – Freshen up your mop by soaking in Bi-Carb solution overnight. Eliminates smells too!
- Remove Grease Stains on Carpet – Brush dry Bi-Carb into the grease spot using an old toothbrush. Leave overnight. Vaccum or brush clean the following morning.
- Remove Muddy Footprints on Carpet – Sprinkle Bi-Carb over the footprints and allow to dry. Vacuum clean.
- Remove Stubborn Stains on Carpets/Rugs – Sprinkle Bi-Carb over the stain, then moisten it with a little soda water and rub gently. Do not over-wet carpet/rug. Allow to dry, then vacuum clean.
- Prolong Life of Cut Flowers – Add a pinch of salt and Bi-Carb to vase water.
- Cleaning Glass Beads – Place the beads in a plastic bag, add 2 tbs of Bi-Carb. Gently shake the bag. Remove beads, dust off Bi-Carb with a soft brush. Give the beads a shine using a soft cloth.
- Cleaning Silver Jewellery – Soak in a solution of 1⁄2 cup of vinegar and 2 tbs of Bi-Carb for 2 hours. Buff with a soft cloth.
- Furniture Cleaner (Upholstery) – Fill a sieve with Bi-Carb, sprinkle the powder through the sieve and onto your upholstery. Using a soft brush, work the powder into the fabric, leave overnight and vacuum thoroughly.
- Deodorise a Smelly Room – Bi-Carb placed in small bowls can be used to deodorise a smelly room.
- Clean Musty Carpets/Rugs – Sprinkle with Bi-Carb, leave overnight and vacuum the following morning.
- Remove Grimy Marks on Painted Walls – Clean using Bi-Carb on a damp cloth. Bi-Carb will not scratch the surface.
- Clean Fabric Lampshades – Rub Bi-Carb into the material, then dust lightly.
- Clean Wet Mattresses – Soak up moisture with a towel, then sprinkle the mattress with Bi-Carb. If possible, let the mattress dry in the sun. Vacuum away the dry Bi-Carb. Repeat this process several times.
- Eliminate Mildew on Paper or Books – Sprinkle with Bi-Carb and leave for a few days. Brush clean.
- Mould – Combine Bi-Carb with vinegar and scour clean using a stiff brush.
- Clean Stained Rugs/Mats – Brush dry Bi-Carb into the grease spot using an old toothbrush. Leave overnight. Vacuum or brush clean the following morning.
- Remove Grease Stains on Fabric – Absorb surface grease with paper towelling. Combine equal parts chalk and Bi-Carb with enough water to make a sloppy paste. Spread the paste over the stain. Seal with plastic bag until dry. Brush or vacuum.
- Remove Oil Stains on Fabric – Absorb surface oil with paper towelling. Combine equal parts chalk and Bi-Carb with enough water to make a sloppy paste. Spread the paste over the stain. Seal with plastic bag until dry. Brush or vacuum.
- Remove Wine Stains on Carpet – Soak up liquid with towel, then sprinkle with Bi-Carb to absorb the fluid. Vacuum when completely dry.
- Clean Brass Door Knobs – Sprinkle a small amount of dry Bi-Carb onto a damp cloth and rub gently. Dry with a clean cloth.
- Cleaning the Toilet – Remove any stains by applying a paste of Bi-Carb and lemon juice. Rub clean after half an hour. If the whole bowl is stained, add 1⁄2 cup of vinegar with 1⁄2 cup Bi-Carb to the water, and use the toilet brush to scrub the sides.
Health & Beauty
- Remove Hair Product Build Up – Remove unwanted styling product build-up from your hair by washing weekly with 1 tbs of Bi-Carb mixed with your regular shampoo. Rinse thoroughly, then condition and style as usual.
- Make Bath Salts – Combine 2 1⁄2 cups Bi-Carb, 2 cups of McKenzie’s Cream of Tartar and 1⁄2 cup cornstarch. Store in a covered container. Use 1⁄4 cup per bath.
- Refresh Toothbrushes – Soak toothbrushes in Bi-Carb solution overnight. Rinse.
- Razor Burn Relief – Dab on Bi-Carb solution for instant relief.
- Baby Cradle Cap Relief – Mix together 2 tbs of Bi-Carb with enough water to make a thick paste. Gently rub the paste on the baby’s scalp. Rinse off with warm water.
- Clean Hair Brushes – To clean brushes and combs, soak in Bi-Carb solution overnight. Rinse well & dry.
- Clean Make Up Brushes – To clean make-up brushes, soak in Bi-Carb solution overnight. Rinse well & dry.
- Athletes Foot Prevention – Using Bi-Carb as a powder on your feet and between your toes after you shower.
- Baby Bath – To help soothe skin irritations, add 2 tbs of Bi-Carb to your baby’s bath water.
- Minimise Blackheads – For problem areas on your face or body where blackheads appear, use Bi-Carb paste and spread over the affected areas. Leave for a few minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
- Deodorant – Simply dusting your underarms lightly with Bi-Carb will absorb body odours!
- Body Exfoliator – Use 1⁄4 tsp of Bi-Carb with shower gel or body wash. Make sure the Bi-Carb is well dissolved and then apply in gentle circular motions to your body.
- Facial Wash – Mix 1⁄4 tsp Bi-Carb and your liquid cleanser into the palm of your hand. Make sure it is well dissolved. Apply in gentle circular motions to your face and neck, avoiding the eyes and eye area. Rinse off with warm water. Pat face dry with a soft towel and wipe with a gentle toner.
- Foot Bath – Soothe tired and aching feet by soaking in a basin of warm water and 3 tbs of Bi-Carb.
- Anti-Dandruff Treatment – Soak your hair in a bowl of warm water with 1 tbs of Bi-Carb for a minute, three times a week initially, then once a month for maintenance. Results will vary depending upon each case.
- Chlorine Treatment – Mix a solution of 1⁄2 tsp of Bi-Carb to 500ml warm water and rinse your hair. This will improve the shine and remove the chlorine smell.
- Insect Bites – Apply Bi-Carb paste directly to insect bites and rashes to relieve discomfort.
- Relieves Nappy Rash – Add 1 tsp of Bi-Carb to a bowl of warm water and let your baby soak their bottom for a few minutes. Afterwards don’t rinse and gently pat dry.
- Oral Hygiene – Bi-Carb is a gentle abrasive that cleans like the strongest of toothpastes. Apply a small amount to a damp toothbrush, brush as usual and rinse.
- Mouthwash – For fresh breath, add 1 tsp of Bi-Carb to a small glass of warm water and swish through teeth. Rinse.
- Skin Softener – Add a handful of Bi-Carb to your bath water to soften your skin.
- Sunburn & Windburn Relief – Dissolve approx. 100g of Bi-Carb in a tepid bath and soak in the bath for about 15 minutes.
- Bath Bombs – Ingredients: 1 1⁄2 cups McKenzie’s Bi-Carb, 1⁄2 cup McKenzie’s Citric Acid, Potpourri or Herbal Tea Bag contents, 24 drops Essential Oils (Lavender or Orange),
2 tsps Sweet Almond Oil or Light Vegetable Oil, Food Colouring.
1. For the base mix, sieve together Bi-Carb & citric acid in a large mixing bowl. Add potpourri.
2. To make one bath bomb – Combine 6 drops of essential oil, 1⁄2 tsp almond oil and food colour.
3. Take 1⁄2 cup of dry mix and stir in the oil mixture slowly. Wearing rubber gloves, work the oil mixture into the dry ingredients with your fingertips until it stays compressed.
4. Wipe a little almond oil inside the mould & fill with the mixture, packing firmly.
5. Repeat from step 2 to make more. Leave to set for 24-36 hours before removing from mould.
- Soothe Aching Muscles – Add 1⁄2 cup of Bi-Carb to a hot bath and enjoy a long soak.
- Soothe a Black Eye – Soothe with Bi-Carb paste and a cold cloth.
- Chilblains Relief – Moisten Bi-Carb with vinegar and apply the paste to chilblains.
- Oral Appliance Cleaner – To remove odours and loosen food particles from oral appliances such as dentures and retainers, soak them in a solution of 2 tsp of Bi-Carb dissolved in a glass of warm water.
- Soften Dry Elbows – Rub Bi-Carb paste onto your elbows to smooth away rough skin.
- Relieve Itching Feet – Add 4 tbs of Bi-Carb to 1 litre warm water and soak feet for 10 minutes.
- Smooth Rough & Hardened Calluses – Massage calluses with Bi-Carb paste. Rinse thoroughly.
- Soften Rough/Dry Heels – Massage heels with Bi-Carb paste. Rinse thoroughly.
- Nail Care – Clean fingernails and toenails by scrubbing with a nailbrush dipped in Bi-Carb.
- Soften Nail Cuticles – Soak hands in Bi-Carb solution for 10 minutes.
- Pre or Post Shave Rinse – Men with sensitive skin may find that a solution of 1 tbs of Bi-Carb in 1 cup water makes a great pre-shave treatment or a soothing aftershave rinse.
- Soothe Itchy Skin – Apply Bi-Carb paste to itchy skin to relieve discomfort.
- Dry Shampoo – Sprinkle a small amount of Bi-Carb at the root and tousle your hair for a cheaper dry shampoo alternative.
- Fake Tan Remover – Mix half a cup of Bi-Carb Soda with 1⁄2 cup of lemon juice. Apply the paste to the skin and leave for a few minutes. Wipe or rinse off and repeat the process a few times.
- Razor Burn Soother – Apply a Bi-Carb solution to the affected area and allow drying. Rinse with cold water.