There’s no denying winter has arrived, which makes now a great time to look around the home and consider simple improvements to positively improve heating efficiency and energy management, and get yourself some smaller power bills.
Fujitsu General have come up with some hot (pardon the pun) tips for us, from general DIY solutions to air conditioning system maintenance, to maximise indoor comfort during the colder months.
For homes with reverse cycle air conditioning:
- Use timers: program the system to turn on at a slow speed before waking and before returning home from work or school. This avoids operation at full power during peak times. Program the system to shut down just before leaving the house or going to sleep.
- Manage temperature control: the ideal temperature range in winter is 21°C to 23°C. One degree of extra heat increases energy consumption by up to 10 per cent.
- Only heat the rooms being used: keep doors and windows closed and for homes with ducted air conditioning, use zone control features to close vents.
- Clean or change the air filter and grills: these cavities accumulate dust and debris throughout the year.
- Have the system serviced by a licensed technician every two years. A healthy system operates more efficiently and lasts longer.
General DIY tips:
- Seal draughts under doors with weather strips or door snakes.
- Fill small gaps and cracks around windows with sealant.
- Consider installing or replacing roof insulation.
- Decorate with warm colours: rooms filled with warm tones such as orange, yellow and red can influence how cold people feel. Brighten the room – and make it feel warmer – with new cushions or throw rugs for the season.