As they say on The Block: “Wow, wow, wow!” Real Living’s front cover for April certainly packs a punch – the genius colour and print combination is so crazy it works. I’m not brave enough to wear prints, but I’m now reconsidering the option of working prints into my wardrobe, and my home!
The highlight for me this issue was the ‘Find your own Colour Palette’ feature by designer Jacinta Preston. It gives some great advice and made me feel more confident when it comes to choosing colour. I loved one of Jacinta’s examples: “Gloss matt is very different to matt black: gloss accentuates and intensifies the colour, matt helps colour to recede and look more subtle.”
What I’m loving
1. It was lovely to meet the delightful Christopher Boots on page 49. He is an industrial designer, who knows his beauty products! When asked what his essential grooming products were, he answered with organic rosehip oil, Thursday Plantation tea tree oil, and Dr. Bronner’s Almond soap. This bloke’s bathroom cabinet is waaay better stocked than mine!
2. Liesel Peterson’s divine vivid turquoise front door immediately caught my eye in ‘Made in Bondi’. I completely identified with the fact she completely changed her mind in three days as to what type of house she was looking to purchase (my kind of impulsiveness), but that it took eight months to choose a dining table. Together with her husband Brody, she owns and runs Bondi restaurants The Flying Squirrel and The Stuffed Beaver. Very cool names, yes?
3. The retro tiled splashback and marble pendant lights in the Kitchen & Bathroom Special. Quirky and classy at the same time.
What I’m excited about
1. Pony Rider’s new collection of textiles, called Take a Hike With Me. How about take a hike with me back to my couch? Love the beautifully graphic cushions and blankets.
2. Fashion label One Teaspoon has branched into homewares, look out for floor coverings, cushions, art and objects.
3. SUPER excited about Easter (there’s no pressure of buying gifts a la Christmas, and you get to indulge in copious amounts of chocolate and hang with family and friends, what could be better?), so I let out a squeal when I saw the recipes for raspberry ice cream in a chocolate egg, and boozy chocolate milkshakes on the Rockin’ Easter pages. Yes please.
Things I’m coveting
1. The clever idea of colourful stained floorboards as a decorative feature in a 1940s fisherman’s cottage.
2. I need this Star Light light fixture from West Vintage Trading Company.
3. Everyone needs a blue jean SMEG fridge in the kitchen, right?*
*Editor’s note: This is possibly the only colour of SMEG fridge I would NOT want in my home, But each to their own, Jacqui!