- 75 g unsalted butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 cups warm milk
- 2½ cups boiling water
- 250 g dried macaroni pasta
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp mustard powder
- 1½ tsp dried sage
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1½ cups grated Colby cheese
- 8 small orange or red capsicums
- Combine the butter and flour in a large saucepan set over a moderate heat and cook for 1 minute, until it resembles wet sand. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add the water and simmer again.
- Mix in the paste and spices, then season generously with salt and pepper. Stirring well. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes, stirring often, then reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for a further 15 minutes, until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the cheeses, then set aside for 5 minutes.
- Use a small sharp knife to carve a ghoul face into the side of each capsicum, then remove the lid and seeds. Fill with macaroni mixture, then set the lid back on again.