Winter is coming, and what better way to keep warm than with a hearty meal? This recipe by Cleo Kerameas was recently featured in the culinary and design guide Senses of Quality by Winning Appliances.
Aromatic Indian lamb curry with pilaf
- 2 1.2kg boneless lamb shoulders fat trimmed, cut into 5cm chunks
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp Indian curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 2 tsp black or yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ginger finely grated
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 cardamom pods crushed
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups basmati rice washed until water runs clear
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch coriander chopped, to serve
- Place lamb pieces in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine turmeric, garam marsala, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper; add to lamb and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C on conventional (top and bottom) heat. Place a large, heavy-based saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat; add oil and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and sauté for 5 minutes. Add lamb, tomato, garlic, ginger and chilli to the pan; stir on a medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add water, cardamom pods and star anise, and stir well; cover with lid; place in the oven and cook for 3 hours. When the lamb has cooked for 2½ hours, prepare the rice.
- Place oil in a medium ovenproof saucepan over medium heat; add onion and cook just until tender; add rice and pine nuts; cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add water and extra salt and stir well. Bring to the boil and stir; remove from heat, cover with a lid and transfer to the oven alongside lamb. Cook for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven along with the lamb; allow rice to rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Add coriander to the curry and stir through.
- To serve, fluff up the rice with a fork and serve with curry.