This week’s recipe is from Rosie Eyre of By Rosie.
The continuous love affair with Caesar salad has remained strong. I “jujjed” up this recipe from the old classic. It might appear odd but I halved the cos lettuce then gently heated it in the oven. The results were fabulous and I would highly recommend a Caesar done this way. Sidelined with anchovies and lemon, shredded chicken, homemade paleo tahini Caesar dressing and topped with a soft boiled egg!
Why is this recipe good for you?
Anchovies, although not everyone’s taste, are golden nuggets in regards to what they offer to help benefit your health and are readily available. They are rich in niacin (vitamin B3) which is great for depression and anxiety as well as other Bs essential to help the liver, healthy brain and functioning nervous system. Calcium (bones), magnesium (sleep) and potassium (good for eye health, nervous system) are just a few minerals. They are also a good source of Omega 3 which is a good anti-inflammatory and good to boost immunity. Tahini is a great source of calcium for your bones, can help protect against hypertension, helps maintain a healthy body weight and immunity. Leafy greens such as cos lettuce, are good sources of fibre, as well as helping maintain an alkaline environment which helps your body works best. Chicken and eggs are a full protein with all of the essential amino acids which will help support a healthy metabolism, help sustain lean muscle and also keep you energised.
- 1 cos/romaine lettuce, halved
- 2 1/2 lemons, squeezed
- 5 tinned anchovy fillets, made into a paste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 organic free range egg, boiled soft
- 100 grams shredded chicken breast (pre-cooked)
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons unhulled tahini
- lemons, squeezed
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tinned anchovy fillets, made into a paste
- Sea salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 170c. In a small bowl mix 1/2 juice of lemon and the 5 anchovies made into a paste stir together. Place two halves of lettuce facing up into a oven proof baking tray. Gently drizzle anchovy/lemon dressing over lettuce. Finish with olive oil. Place in oven for 10 minutes, until leaves slightly browned.
- Whilst lettuce is baking, get boiling your egg. Cover egg in cold water in small sauce pan, medium to high heat, when the water starts boiling time 2-2.5 minutes to get soft boiled. When done, let it sit in cold water until ready to serve.
- With the dressing add tahini, 1.5 lemons, juiced and water and mix well until have desired creamy consistency. Add garlic, anchovy paste and a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper. Season to taste.
- Peel your egg, load up your plate. Lettuce first, shredded chicken, egg, followed by dressing. Season with sea salt and pepper and squeeze of fresh lemon.More recipes