The best time for apricots is the beginning of summer – and baking brings out their sweetness even further! Thanks to Williams Sonoma for this week’s delicious recipe!
- 1 sheet frozen all-butter puff pastry, thawed
- 10 apricots, halved and pitted
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup (155 g) thick apricot preserve
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 6 tbs (45 g) chopped pistachios
- 2 tbs honey
1. Preheat an oven to 200°C. Have ready a 25-cm square tart pan with a removable bottom.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry sheet into a 28-cm square and transfer to the prepared pan. Trim off the corners, then gather any dough overhang and press it into the sides of the pan to form a rim that is even in thickness. Using a fork, prick the bottom and sides of the dough. Place the tart shell in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from the freezer and bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together the apricots, sugar and orange liqueur. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
4. Spread the apricot preserve evenly over the bottom of the tart shell. Sprinkle the cinnamon, cardamom and 4 tbs (30 g) of the pistachios over the preserve. Arrange the apricots, cut sides down, on top and drizzle with any juices remaining in the bowl. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tb. pistachios over the top.
5. Bake until the apricots are tender and the pastry is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
6. Remove the tart from the oven and drizzle the honey over the top. Let cool on a wire rack for about 1 hour. (The tart can be baked up to 4 hours in advance and cooled, then tented with aluminium foil and stored at room temperature.)
7. When ready to serve, slide the tart onto a serving plate.