Salt & Togarashi Pepper Prawns
These moreish prawns are flavoured with Japanese togarashi pepper, giving them a complex flavour that is nutty, spicy, and sweet all at once.
- 250 ml shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 kg raw Australian tiger prawns peeled, tails intact
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 150 g cornflour
- 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons shichimi togarashi plus extra to serve
Combine shaoxing wine and ginger in a bowl. Add prawns and stand to marinate for 30 minutes. Drain prawns and pat dry with absorbent paper.
Preheat oil in a wok to 190ºC. Place cornflour, sea salt and togarashi in a bowl and toss to combine.
Dust prawns with salt and pepper mixture. Shake off excess and deep-fry in batches, stirring occasionally, until light golden and crisp. Around 2-3 minutes.
Drain on absorbent paper and serve with extra salt and pepper mix.
If you can't find shaoxing wine, you can substitute dry sherry.
If you can't find togarashi pepper, you can substitute chilli flakes and toasted sesame seeds.